Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Edgar Allen Poe's Grave and Other News

So... not too much happening lately. Micah and I had this crazy idea for me to meet him after school and go see Edgar Allen Poe's grave today (it's about 2 blocks from where the University Medical Center is). It turned out to be one of the muggiest days ever. I was cheking the temperature before I took off on foot to the light rail station (about .7 miles from our apartment) and saw that it was about 80 degrees and 80% humidity. I decided to just take off and start walking, and didn't seem too bad until I stopped at the station. The little bit of wind I made walking was gone and the sweat beaded up on my forehead and under my eyes and all over really. It started dripping off me, and I had to keep wiping it off. I have NEVER sweated like that before...not even working out, and I WASN'T DOING ANYTHING!

Well, luckily the train was air conditioned, and I got nice and cooled down in the 15 minutes it took to get to my stop. Micah was there waiting for me, and we walked toward the Medical Center and he showed me around where the School of Medicine was, and where his classes will be.

Then we took a walk over to Westminster Hall and Burial Grounds where there is a monument for Poe, and then his grave is farther in near some of his family's plots. That place would be downright creepy in the dark with all the crumbling crypts and ivy-covered trees and mossy gravestones coming up everywhere, even in the middle of the paths... Well, we were sweating too much to stick around there, and of course didn't get any pictures of us there because of the sweat. So we took off to get some drinks and cool down inside the main lobby of the Medical Center. Inside was really cool. Air conditioned and neat to see. The original exterior of the building had at sometime been enclosed by add-ons. So in the lobby you can look all the way up to the ceiling (maybe 9 stories or so) which is all skylight. And then the previously exterior wall has cute window boxes on the windows. It was interesting.

After spending time in there we decided we could just go home and eat lunch. This time we weren't so fortunate with getting an air conditioned train car. The air conditioning did little to cool it down, and it must have frozen over or flooded by condensation since there were spots that dripped on the passengers. Then we had to walk in the sweaty heat again uphill to our apartment. Yuck again! I think I sweated about 5 gallons of sweat. Once we were back inside our air-conditioned building, it was MUCH better!

I think maybe we had better wait until cooler weather or later hours to get out and see more stuff. There's a lot of history here. Micah commented to me earlier how everything has some architectural significance and there are always signs and histories of the buildings saying how they have Egyptian influence or Greek-style pillars or whatever. We're not used to being around old buildings. The few in Utah aren't really used for anything but a museum, it seems... and they're not from Revolutionary War times... like some here.

Anyway, I hope I will have more adventures soon. At least I start work on Monday, so there will be more to write about soon. Oh! I put a hold on the third book of Hunger Games (Mockingjay) today at the library. Those books are SO good! We got addicted on our drive out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment